Sunday, December 6, 2009

“He went to Jared!” and “Baby, will you marry me?”

So, I figured out that one of my passions in life is event planning and that the idea of planning someone’s wedding is definitely on my “to do” list. But while I’m all into David Tutera’s My Fair Wedding show, I’m also wondering about everything that takes place before the actual wedding ceremony and reception.

Now, everyone knows the Jared jewelry commercial where they really do a great job in branding their name and making Jared seem as if it is actually on the level of Tiffany and Company. But c’mon, even if Tiffany’s modern day success if partially because of its legacy and the movie Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Jared can’t compete! I don’t mean to diss’ Jared but they have to really get on the grind with their public relations and marketing if they want women to ask for Jared ring instead of a Tiffany ring. At the same time, I’m feeling that the average working man around my age may only be making 2k net at the least, maybe even less for some.

So, is it wrong for a woman who loves Tiffany and has always dreamed of a Tiffany engagement ring to expect something different? Tis’ the question: to buy Tiffany or not to buy Tiffany? I mean, I know you ladies feel the same way as I do; I want something nice but I don’t want to break this man’s bank! But, on the other hand as I told my best friend Jessica, most men always have some type of money saved up for a rainy day. I even had a friend of 23 years of age saving up money for an engagement ring so that when he did find that special, rare, one-of-a-kind woman he could easily propose to her? I guess I’m going back-and-forth because I want to be fair but really, if someone 23 could think of doing this then why should we hold our significant others to a lesser-standard? I mean, after all don’t we want someone that has discipline to budget his money properly? I figure, if I can say, “Well, instead of going out to dine every other week, I’m going to save or budget my money to do this,” then why can’t he? Not that I’m trying to break up any of your relationships but if your boyfriend doesn’t have the discipline to budget properly, then umm, how can he budget the finances of your household as a future husband and father? It's a good question and I'm not condemning him because discipline can help him get where he needs to be so don't feel as if I'm trying to be a bearer of bad news.

Now, the next thing is about how men express emotion and when finally pops the big question: Baby, will you marry me? All the time, you see on movies how men will make a really huge deal out of asking their woman to marry them because it is a huge deal! Well, when I was a junior I had a class with a young woman who started her own event planning business. I don’t think she mines me writing about her business which is Opal E Event Planning and b.t.w., she’s always been on the up-and-up with everything throughout the whole time I’ve known her. Anyhow, she evens helps with the proposal coordination! I mean, we want something really nice that shows he cares and put some thought into it! It is so easy to research and google search terms like: different ways to propose marriage; romantic marriage proposal ideas; asking a woman to marry you, etc. But if all else fails, they can get someone to help them so we shouldn't settle for less.

So, we have Tiffany not Jared and romantic proposal vs. non-romantic proposal. Not asking for much but for now, I'll digress. Oy vey! LOL.

No comments: