Monday, December 14, 2009

“I almost got in a bad car accident!”

My friend’s 23rd birthday was this Saturday and towards the end of the night, we went out to Dave and Buster’s in Utica. Well, even when my friends dragged me to night clubs I still was never a night-club person. All I can say about that is the spirit of God has always thrived with me. So, my whole point in brining this up is that my friend and I left Dave and Buster’s around 1:30 p.m. and on the way home, I swerved into the other lane of traffic but The Holy Spirit woke me up!

We were big kids in Dave and Buster’s but as 1 a.m. approached, the simple thought of having to drive all the way back to Detroit made me even more tired. But you know, I tried to be a good friend and not say anything. So, it starts to snow and I have to drive down Van Dyke all the way from Utica instead of taking the expressway because I-94 W is very dark around Hall Road and plus, it was snowing. As soon as we get in the car, my friend falls asleep, head nodding forward like she’s going to hit the dashboard.

I’m feeling so sleepy and Van Dyke has three lanes on traffic on either side with a turning lane separating each direction of traffic. I don’t know how it happened but I actually fell asleep and swerved into the turning lane of traffic and please believe that the I was less than 15 feet away from crashing into oncoming traffic. How I woke up – The Holy Spirit gave me a sharp jolt in my spirit and I woke up but if it wasn’t for Him, I may not be writing this today.

The lesson learned here is that since I am the driver, I have to either take a short 10-15 minute power nap before leaving for the next destination or TELL my friends when we are leaving. My friend has no idea we almost got in a car accident because umm…yeah, she was sleep. If I had a choice, I would love to be a passenger but knowing what happened to me last Saturday will make me stay awake for my own personal safety and for the lives of others.

No comments: